Event Medical Services – Event Medical Services Risk Calculator
As the Event Organiser you have a legal responsibility to provide “adequate” medical cover.
With more and more claims arising as a result of accidents or injury at events, the requirement for quality medical care has never been so important. Additionally it is important to remember that according to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), it is their opinion that the responsibility to provide medical cover lies with the Event Organiser. Furthermore, as the event organiser you must ensure that everyone attending your event has medical support. Therefore we have a few points to note from the Purple Guide:
- You MUST ensure that there is an appropriate level of medical, first aid and ambulance provision at an event that will minimise the impact on local NHS services
- The medical provider MUST undertake a medical, ambulance and first-aid resource assessment
- A medical staffing plan should be made prior to the event to ensure that staff are deployed appropriately
- Medical provision should be provided for the full duration of the event, including build up and break down
So what is “adequate cover”?
Every event must undergo a medical resource risk assessment. We complete these risk assessments to ascertain the most adequate level of medical cover for your event. Furthermore we also offer a free Event Medical Services Risk Calculator is based on the HSE Purple Guide. This guide is recognised Nationally by both the HSE and all Ambulance Services across the UK. Click Here to see what would typically be required for your event with our Event Medical Services Risk Calculator.
The Purple Guide
The Purple Guide to Health, Safety and Welfare at Music and Other Events provides guidance to safe event planning. It states “Before contracting medical, ambulance or a first-aid provider for an event, it is important to ensure that they will be able to supply what is needed.” As the organiser of an event you are responsible for appointing a competent medical provider.
What should I look for in a Medical Provider?
Medical providers supply varying levels of cover but you should always do your homework before contracting a supplier. Here are a few things to ask or look out for:
First Aid Level
- Can they produce a certificate of public Liability, medical malpractice and Indemnity insurance?
- Do all staff hold at minimum a current ‘Accredited’ 3 day First Aid at Work?
- Also completed additional training such as Manual Handling, Safeguarding and Infection Control.
Healthcare Professional (HCP) – Ambulance Level
- As per First Aid Level
- Can they produce CQC a registration certificate?
- Are all HCP’s nationally registered?
- Are vehicles appropriately insured and equipped to treat and transport (providers not CQC registered cannot offer this service).
We’re are not only great at the medical stuff, we’re pretty good at the Health and Safety too. Our Paramedics, Nurses, Pharmacists and a Health and Safety Officer make up just a small part of our team so you can rest assure that your event is in good hands. We ensure that our recommendations meet all HSE and Ambulance Service recommendations. This means your event planning will be as smooth as possible. So why not contact us now to see why 100s of event organisers use us year after year or Click Here to see our testimonials.